I have been sick of my dated, out of style, oak cabinets since the day we moved in. 3 years later, and I finally did something about it. While Josh wants to wait til the kids are a few years older, and a whole lot less destructive, I wasn’t about to wait that long. So I did my research, bought my supplies, and raided the office tool shed 😉
You want to make sure you have a solid plan before disassembling your entire kitchen. I set up folding tables for cabinet painting stations so I could quickly move from one to the next and have them all drying at the same time. I also had all the different screws & hinges organized in Tupperware containers so I wouldn’t lose any. And be prepared for your kitchen being a complete clusterf**k for however long it takes you to get the job done (took me a solid week), because it becames chaos pretty quickly
What You Will Need
- Paint & Primer – always use a few coats of primer before actual paint
- De-glossing agent – I used this one https://www.homedepot.com/p/Krud-Kutter-32-oz-Gloss-Off-Prepaint-Surface-Preparation-GO326/203396842
- Power sander and drill
- Painting supplies – i.e. brushes, rollers, trays, tape, etc
- New hinges and drawer/cabinet hardware if you choose – I got new knobs but used the same hinges
- Using the drill, remove all cabinets and drawers. Set aside. I left most items in the cabinets themselves, as I did not paint the inside.
- Tape off everything. And I mean everything – the fridge, the dishwasher, the oven, etc.
- Sand all exterior surfaces of cabinet frames.
- Following instructions on product, de-gloss everything you just sanded with rags and good ole’ fashion elbow grease.
- Paint at least 2 coats of primer, allowing to fully dry in between.
- Once dry, paint at least 2 coats of paint, allowing to fully dry in between.
- Repeat steps 1-6 on all cabinet doors & drawers.
- Re-assemble cabinets and dress it up with some cute new décor like my faux vines 😉
3 thoughts on “DIY Kitchen Cabinet Makeover”
Looks good, Can never go wrong with a white kitchen. What paint did you use for this project?
Behr semi gloss white
I love white cabinets in a kitchen! These look gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!